I love a good scone. Finding a good recipe has been difficult, though. I want it to be crisp, flaky, and fluffy. I’m pretty sure there are some opposites in there. After playing around with lots of recipes, I think I’ve found the perfect combination.
- 3 1/4 cups flour
- 1/3 cup sugar + 2 Tablespoon sugar divided
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 10 oz. chocolate chips (You could also go with cinnamon chips, as well!)
- 2 Tablespoons butter, melted
Combine flour, 1/3 c. of sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add in the cubed butter. The mixture will be dry and crumbly. Mix in the buttermilk and chocolate chips. I just mix this by hand. If you use a mixer, it can get over-mixed quickly.
Place wedges on an ungreased cookie sheet. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle a little sugar on top.
Bake at 425 for 13 minutes.
This? Is scone perfection.